Deadline for application for current KU students is March 15 for spring admission or October 15 for fall admission. Applications must be submitted before completion of the fourth and final course of the certificate program.
Deadline for application for new students is January 1 for spring admission or August 1 for fall admission.
Current KU Graduate Students:
Current graduate students wishing to enroll in the Graduate Certificate Program will apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions. A student must be in good standing with their current graduate degree program in order to participate in the certificate program. A graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for admission. The application process entails completing the online application, paying a $30.00 application fee, and submitting materials required for the Graduate Certificate:
- A letter stating your interest in African Studies or African-American Studies and its relationship to your graduate course of study
- An unofficial copy of your KU transcript or a current copy of your Degree Progress Report (DPR)
- A letter of support from your graduate degree program
Non-KU Graduate Students:
Non-KU graduate students must complete an application through the Office of Graduate Admissions for admission into the certificate program and submit a $30.00 application fee along with the following materials:
- A letter stating your interest in the African Studies or African-American Studies Graduate Certificate Program
- Copies of official transcripts from all previous post-secondary educational institutions
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work or potential for graduate study
All inquiries should be directed to:
Dr. Jessica Gerschultz, AAAS Director of Graduate Studies
Lauren Chaney, Graduate Academic Advisor