Scholarships & Funding
Our Department offers three main scholarships, all dependent on the availability of funds
(Nelson Family Scholarship funded through the Honors Program; mostly for the junior or the rising senior). Amount is usually $1,500. Contact: University Honors Program
EOF Grant Scholarship
The Department of African & African-American Studies has a few scholarships for our students. The scholarships are funded by the Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) of the Student Senate. We invite you to apply for one of these scholarships. Previous recipients of the AAAS Scholarships can also apply.
Applicants must be at least a sophomore by next academic year
To apply, send:
- A letter of application to the department chair explaining why you need a scholarship, include KUID#, level in school, current GPA (explanation of circumstances if under 3.0)
- Current Degree Progress Report (DPR).
- Name of one instructor we may contact for recommendation
- Indicate that you have filled out a FAFSA at Financial Aid Office, it is required
Electronic applications (e-mail or attachment) are unacceptable. Feel free to call (785)864-3054 if you have any questions.
Deadline is May 20
John S. and Yoshino Harmon Multicultural Scholars Award
(administered by the KU Endowment). Contact: KU Endowment
The McNair Scholarship is also available to our students, but it is administered by the McNair Scholars Program of the School of Education. Contact: McNair Scholars Program, Room 305 JRP (Joseph R. Pearson Hall), 864-3412
- FLAS Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships
- KU Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Project GO site - Scholarships Funding ROTC Students to Study Critical Languages
- The McNair Scholars Program - The mission of the McNair Scholars Program is to support undergraduate students in their quest to attend graduate school and obtain a doctoral degree. We serve students that are either 1) from underrepresented minority groups or 2) are first generation college students AND come from low-income backgrounds.