The Marwa Africana Lecture Series (MALS): Established in 2003 through a generous donation by Dr. Mohamed Buba Marwa, a Nigerian businessman, politician, and philanthropist, MALS brings in a leader annually to address matters related to Africa and/or the African Diaspora.
- 2017: Micere Hithae Mugo, Emeritus Professor of African American Studies at Syracur University
- 2014: Fred Harris, Political Scientist, TV and Radio Commentator, Director of Center on African-American Politics and Society.
- 2011: Nawal El Saadawi, Egyptian activist and outspoken author and human rights advocate
- 2009: Amiri Baraka, poet, playwright, novelist, music critic and political activist.
- 2008: Martin Bernal, Ph.D (Cambridge), Professor Emeritus in Near Eastern Studies and Government, Cornell University
- 2005: Molefi K. Asante, Ph.D (UCLA), Prolific Author and Scholar, Professor of African-American Studies, Temple University. The 2005 lecture was very special because Dr. Marwa, after whom the lecture series is named, was able to return to Kansas for the lecture.
- 2004 : Ali Mazrui, Ph.D (Oxford), Albert Schweitzer Professor in the Humanities, Director of Global Cultural Studies, Binghamton University.